The GSA Childcare Grant for graduate students was approved during the Spring 2011 Elections, and the requirements were updated in Spring 2016 and Spring 2017 to make it more accessible. This grant provides general support for graduate students with children regardless of milestone or specific need events. Approved graduate students with single-child households will receive an award of $300; graduate students with more than one child will receive $150 per additional child (i.e., $300 for a single-child house, $450 for a 2-child house, etc.). Grants are limited to one award per graduate student per quarter, with a maximum of five awards allowed during a student’s academic tenure at UC Santa Barbara.


The GSA Childcare Grant aims to assist UC Santa Barbara graduate students with expenses related to caring for their dependent(s). Eligibility requirements are as follows:

  1. Applicants must be currently registered graduate students at UCSB with dependent(s).
  2. Applicants must provide proof of dependent(s) either in the form of a copy of a birth certificate or through receipts for childcare services such as daycare showing dependent(s) names and the applicant’s name.
  3. Grants will be limited to one award per graduate student per quarter for $300 for the first child and $150 per child for additional children (for example, a one-child applicant would be eligible for $300, a two-child applicant $450, and a three-child applicant $600).
  4. Students may receive a maximum of five awards during their academic tenure at UC Santa Barbara.


To apply, please complete the application form. In the application, you will be required to upload Proof of Registration

After submitting the application, you will be receive a copy of your response.

Proof of Dependent(s) must be emailed to gsa-vpfa@ucsb.edu in one of the following file types: JPEG, PNG, or PDF.



The application period opens on the first day of the quarter and closes on the last day of Week 8 of the academic quarter. Late applications are not accepted as final paperwork must be processed by the end of the quarter. As the application period opens at the beginning of the quarter, we recommend applying as early as possible to ensure timely grant disbursal.


Grants are disbursed through GradPoint using BARC accounts. Make sure to check which delivery option you would prefer in your BARC account (direct deposit or mailed check).