Due to high demand the GSA Childcare Grant has used all of its funds for the 2019-2020 academic year and cannot award any more grants. The program will resume during the Fall 2020 quarter once it receives more funds.
The GSA Childcare Grant for Graduate Students was approved during the Spring 2011 Elections and the requirements were updated in Spring 2016 and Spring 2017 to make it more accessible. It was originally designed to promote graduate student success during certain required milestone activities of the graduate program, but it has been widened to provide general support for graduate students with children regardless of milestone or specific ‘need events.’
Approved graduate students with single-child households will receive an award of $300; graduate students with more than one child will receive an award of $150 per additional child ($300 for a single-child house, $450 for a 2-child house, etc.). Grants are limited to one award per graduate student per quarter, with a maximum of five awards allowed during a student’s academic tenure at UCSB.
The GSA Childcare Grant aims to assist UCSB graduate students who have expenses related to caring for their dependent(s). Eligibility requirements are as follows:
- Applicants must be currently registered graduate students at UCSB with dependent(s).
- Applicants must provide proof of dependent(s) either in form of a copy of a birth certificate or through receipts for childcare services such as day care showing dependent(s) names as well as the applicant’s name.
- Grants will be limited to one award per graduate student per quarter in the amount of $300 for the first child and $150 per child for additional children (for example: a 1 child applicant would be eligible for $300, a 2 child applicant $450, and a 3 child applicant $600).
- Students may receive a maximum of five awards during their academic tenure at UCSB.
How to apply
To apply, please download, complete, and email the GSA Childcare Grant Application with the following PDF attached documentation (please scan as PDF or JPEG) and email to our VP of Budget, Finance, and Committees.
- Proof of registration, e.g., current class schedule, unofficial transcript, or official Registrar’s proof of registration.
- Proof of dependent(s) care as either a birth certificate, adoption certificate, court order of guardianship, or receipts for childcare services showing both the dependent(s) name(s) as well as the applicant’s name.
The application period opens on the 1st day of the quarter and closes on the last day of the quarter. Late applications are not accepted as final paperwork must be processed by the end of the quarter. As the application period opens at the beginning of the quarter, it is recommended to apply as early as possible to ensure timely grant disbursal.
When will be my award ready?
Awards are disbursed through the AS ticket office. Grants take anywhere from 2-6 weeks to process and you will be informed when your check is expected to be ready when your application is processed. The ticket office can be reached at (805) 893-2064 to check on the status of a check.
If you are unable to physically go to campus to pick up the check (for example are spending the quarter working remotely), it is possible to mail your check. All mail requests are reviewed on a case-by-case basis and checks will not be mailed to applicants who live in the Santa Barbara and Goleta area without extenuating circumstances. Please note in your application email that you would like the check mailed and provide a brief one paragraph description of why this is necessary.