The GSA Childcare Grant for graduate students was approved during the Spring 2011 Elections, and the requirements were updated in Spring 2016 and Spring 2017 to make it more accessible. Originally designed to promote graduate student success during certain required milestone activities of the graduate program, this grant provides general support for graduate students with children regardless of milestone or specific ‘need events.’
Approved graduate students with single-child households will receive an award of $300; graduate students with more than one child will receive $150 per additional child (i.e., $300 for a single-child house, $450 for a 2-child house, etc.). Grants are limited to one award per graduate student per quarter, with a maximum of five awards allowed during a student’s academic tenure at UC Santa Barbara.
The GSA Childcare Grant aims to assist UC Santa Barbara graduate students with expenses related to caring for their dependent(s). Eligibility requirements are as follows:
- Applicants must be currently registered graduate students at UCSB with dependent(s).
- Applicants must provide proof of dependent(s) either in the form of a copy of a birth certificate or through receipts for childcare services such as daycare showing dependent(s) names and the applicant’s name.
- Grants will be limited to one award per graduate student per quarter for $300 for the first child and $150 per child for additional children (for example, a one-child applicant would be eligible for $300, a two-child applicant $450, and a three-child applicant $600).
- Students may receive a maximum of five awards during their academic tenure at UC Santa Barbara.
HOW TO APPLY
To apply, please download, complete, and email the GSA Childcare Grant Application below with the following PDF attached documentation (please scan as PDF or JPEG) and email to our VP of Financial Affairs.
- Proof of registration, e.g., current class schedule, unofficial transcript, or official Registrar’s proof of registration.
- Proof of dependent(s) care as either a birth certificate, adoption certificate, court order of guardianship, or receipts for childcare services showing both the dependent(s) name(s) as well as the applicant’s name.
The application period opens on the first day of the quarter and closes on the quarter's last day. Late applications are not accepted as final paperwork must be processed by the end of the quarter. As the application period opens at the beginning of the quarter, we recommend applying as early as possible to ensure timely grant disbursal.
WHEN WILL MY AWARD BE READY?
Awards are disbursed through the AS ticket office. Grants take anywhere from 2 to 6 weeks to process, and you will be informed when your check is ready. You may also reach the AS ticket office at (805) 893-2064 to check the award's status.
If you cannot physically go to campus to pick up the check (for example, you are spending the quarter working remotely), it is possible to mail your check. All mail requests are reviewed on a case-by-case basis, and checks will not be mailed to applicants who live in the Santa Barbara and Goleta area without extenuating circumstances.